Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

(sorry...this one is LONG!)

this was a very crazy, bizarre, and busy weekend for us... Saturday was beautiful, 75, sunny, not a cloud in the sky. Ollie and I had to run a bunch of errands to get ready for our BBQ on Sunday, and it was such a lovely day to be out and about. Around 8:30-9 the thunderheads rolled in, no biggie, Roxy was really scared as she no longer tolerates fireworks or thunder. I was watching the lighting out of the office window while IM chatting with Mom and playing Pillage the Village (a horribly addictive game!) Oliver was asleep and I decided that it was time to get off the computer while this storm was going on. The lightning started to move right over the house and the thunder was following immediately after the strike. It was pouring harder than I have ever seen, within a couple of minutes you couldn't distinguish the front walk from the flower bed, all water. I stood up to leave the computer, thinking it might not be wise sitting next to all this electronics if something were to happen or the power to go out. As I left the office i noticed I as standing in about 2" of water! Now this is a situation I was not prepared for. What do I do about the computer CPU and power strip sitting in water with constant lightning outside? I turned around and then saw that water was pouring in the back door to the yard, and quickly jammed a towel under the door. I quickly ran through the house looking for any other floods and grabbed my phone to call Graham at work. He didn't answer so I called Mom for advice and then G called back. I had gotten the computer turned off and we determined it was best to get it up on a chair and unplug the power strip and get out of the room. I shut the door, and put a baby gate up to keep the animals out of the laundry room as well.

As I was on the phone with Graham, lights were flickering and he tells me that I am going to have to go pick him up after work as he got pepper oil in his eyes and can't see to ride his bike home. Great! Luckily the rain stopped after about an hour and the water receded back to wherever it came from.

When the time came, we picked up Graham who's whites of his eyes were red, like bright, blood red. Apparently, while prepping some peppers, he rubbed his eyes and must of gotten some "juice" on his contact or under it or something, so he threw out his contacts and had a blind service.

Sunday morning we got up to get ready for our BBQ with the Dinsmore's (and others who did not show). Graham got a call from his Mom that the family dog, Iris, had passed away on their trip from Quincy, CA to Klamath Falls. They were in Cali visiting Max who just graduated from Feather River College. (YAY Max!) It was very sad news as Iris has been part of the family for about 12 years I believe.

Iris was also Roxy's adopted Mama, even though Iris never really liked Roxy very much. She did love getting outdoors and ditching Roxy!

I had been very relaxed that I had gotten all of My cooking and prep done on Saturday night so that I just had a few things to do to clean in the morning, unfortunately, Mother Nature and poor construction had different plans for me. I spent the morning cleaning up the "flood" and waiting for Graham to finish his sausages so that the kitchen floor could be cleaned.

The Dinsmore's arrived late afternoon with out BBQ finally out of storage. We have been without it since our move to SF in 2006 and were so happy have home with us! The babies got to meet again, as I don't think they ever remember meeting before. This time Ollie was much more mobile though Allison practically walked all over him with her nearly expert walking skills! It is always fun to see the two of them together and compare and contrast them to one another. Oliver has finally caught up to hi older cousin. I think he is a little bit taller and maybe 1-2 pounds lighter. Peter brought his Wii which caused game play until 3 am. Oliver went down at about 10:30pm and woke up shortly after and would not go back to bed until about 4am. YAY me! Peter stayed the night (Ann had to work on Monday so she left with Allison around 8ish) and when I woke up in the morning (barely) the boys were already gaming, which lasted until 7pm with only a few snack breaks and a No Ho's run.


No comments: