Sunday, July 24, 2011

Really?!

OK, time for a little rant.  It has been bothering me for some time. I am getting so sick of the media. Mostly the "news" media. Besides their awful spelling/grammer and apparent lack of proof reading, I am so tired of the blatant obvious headlines.  

So & So is heartbroken over the loss of a family member. 

So & So is so happy with the birth of their child, etc, etc.

Really?!

I would never have thought that Amy Winehouse's family would be upset that she died, or that 6 months later the Travolta's were still sad about the death of their son. It happens with civilians as well. At least once a week it is essentially the same headline. As if it is so unusual for people to have these feelings. I completely understand the stories that are being written, I just really wish that the writers & editors would put more thought into how they are presenting their topic. I'm not wrong in thinking that not that long ago there was more journalism skill am I? It really feels like there is such and urgency these days to get a story out as quickly as they can and as many stories as possible out into the ether. In this digital age and the slow death of the printed paper, you would think that they would take more care. I am totally guilty of it. I get about 99% of my news from the internet AND I choose what to read based on the headline. If it is some sort of obvious statement, I'm not going to read it. It makes me feel as if the writer thinks I am an idiot. I hope that there is a change coming, but i highly doubt it.

Well, that was my little rant.

:)

2 comments:

Kira said...

I also hate how many typos I see in articles from "legitimate" news organizations. Everyone is just trying to get the story out first or write more stories on popular topics than are not really necessary just to get more readers.

Anonymous said...

I am in total agreement Erin! Well said!