...and Second.
OK. So it isn't technically the first and second blood but they are probably the most tramatic blood injuries to date.
Oliver did not have the best weekend.
Sunday our good friends Chad and Marci Silbernagel came up for a visit. We had a great time visiting, a yummy mexican lunch on Alberta, and was successful at keeping Graham awake!
Oliver had been playing and basking in all of the attention, making rounds between everyone's lap. He was hanging out with Chad for a bit when he decided to get down. He started to slide off Chad's knee like he had multiple times already, but he must have misjudged how far he needed to go, and Chad thought O had got his feet under him. Next thing we all knew he face planted on the hardwood floors. Now this is no way the first time he has face planted on the floor, it may have been the biggest distance, but not by much.
Of course he started crying and Graham scooped him up to console him and asses the damage. Nothing appeared right away and Oliver had to come to Mama (cause you know only Mama's can Really fix a boo boo). As I was holding him, Graham noticed that he had a bloody nose! I knew it was coming one of these days and was glad that it happened when Graham was home. I myself have never had one. It wasn't bad, just a little blood mixed with snot from crying.
Oliver finally calmed down and fell asleep on me. (he had missed his nap for the day so it wasn't very surprising). Graham convinced me that I should put him down in his crib, which I doubt would work. I made my way there, started to lay him down and his eyes popped open, he started to cry and would not let go of me so I took him back to the couch when he instantly fell asleep again.
It must have been close to 2 hours that he slept, tossed, turned, & drooled on me. At one point Graham tried to take him, he woke up, fussed and crawled right back to me.
Finally he woke up in high spirits as if nothing had ever happened. His face was another story! He had a slightly swollen nose with some faint bruising by his eyes, a tiny scratch on the end of his nose, a little scrap under his nose on his top lip, and a swollen upper lip with a very tiny cut on the inside. He truly looked like a little boxer!
Chad of course felt bad even after a lot of reassuring. I think you can only really understand it once you are a parent yourself. They are going to get hurt and do.
So then.....yesterday I had my chiropractor appointment in the morning and Graham had an appointment downtown plus had to go to the DMV beforehand. He got up early and rode his bike downtown while I got ready and waiting for Granny Nanny and Max to show up. They were going to watch Oliver while I went to my appointment and then when Graham got home, all 3 were headed up to the mountain for a day of skiing.
I got out of my appointment and grabbed my phone ready to call Graham to see if he needed me to pick him up and I had a message. I thought it was from Graham but turns out it was from Nan. Oliver had tripped and hit his eye on the ottoman.
My first thought was, OK, its padded, the main reason I got it for Mother's Day last year. So I am thinking maybe a bruise. Then she says he has a gash. A Gash?! But its only about 1/4" long and she doens't think it needs stitches. Stitches?! wow. Graham called me back and he was already with Max headed back to the house. I had left him a message about the eye injury and he was going to beat me back to the house.
By the time I got there he was pretty calmed down, but of course wouldn't let anyone touch it, clean it, or put ice on it. But he was hungry! He had lunch/snack an dI had a bath once the others left for the mountain (Chiropractors orders!). Oliver and I then both took a 2 hour nap. He woke up crying and had a hard time calming down as the salty tears stung his eye. Other than the occassional bump or touch to the area, he hardly even acted like anything happened.
This morning he woke in high spirits with a very nice shiner on his left eye and a little scab at the corner. He was in one of the best moods he has been in for days all day, that is until Dinner. Apparently what I made was not what he wanted...After he ate the little food he did, I sucked his nose out, made him wash his hands & changed his diaper, he was back in high spirits. He didn't even fight me putting on his jammies! He played a little longer and went to bed easily. I heard him playing and chattering for a little while and then he fell asleep. As long as you don't touch the area he is a happy camper...
At breakfast posing for the camera.
Droopy eyed boy.
I think he will be staying out of the public for a few days!!



1 comment:
Wow.. That had to hurt, poor little guy!
Post a Comment