Saturday, June 27, 2009

Accepted!

Today on our lovely summer drive through the Gorge (originally planned as a hike at Bridal Veil Trail but there was no parking, and then turned into a trip to Hood River) we got a call from our Realtor, Scott. The seller basically accepted our offer with one small change, a closing date of August 7th instead of the end of July. We are so excited but at the same time cautious...We now need the house to pass the FHA inspection for value (that shouldn't be hard) structure and safety. We had a little back and forth this week with counters.
We originally offered 160k due to all the work that needs to be done for it to be liveable for us AND the boys. The house also needs a new roof. The owner countered back at 190k which was only 10k off the asking price. We countered with 180k and the seller pays closing costs. He was supposed to make the decision by 2:30pm yesterday but wasn't ready and wanted the night to think about it.
I am so excited but still holding back waiting for the closing date to actually get here with no hiccups. 
I found a program the the PDC (Portland Development Commission) has in the city for a renovation loan up to 30k to help low income homeowners do major repairs for things such as roofs, bathrooms & kitchens. Monday we will be calling to get more information and see if we qualify, the house we know if in the Interstate Corridor for Urban Renewal where the city gives money to help fix up poor areas of town (Gentrification...)
We are also excited about the fact that after some love and sweat, we will make A LOT of equity. Currently according to Zillow.com (which doesn't know the condition of the house) it is worth 261k, the house next door 325k. Will some fresh paint, cleaned up floors and a new bathroom, we should be able to have the house worth at least 250k!
Last night I kept dreaming about the house and already decorating it...it has been almost 3 years since I have been able to paint and really decorate a home. I kept telling myself not to think about it or plan because I might jinx it!! I still will hold off on real plans until it passes inspection.
I will be so happy to have a home that the boys (Oliver at this point) can run around it. Right now we spend out day crammed in 1 small room and he is so antsy to go "walk". 
The house has so much space, so much more than I thought we would have at this point. The 1st and 2nd floors equal 1500 sq ft and then there is a full unfinished basement with another fireplace. Unfortunately, the ceiling height is non-conforming to consider it part of the sq footage but we plan to finish it anyway for a wine cellar, possible work space, entertainment/playroom and it is where the washer and dryer live. That will be way down the line, but it is nice to know that there is that space. The main floor has a large living room that used to be 2 but the owner took the dividing wall down 20 years ago. The Kitchen and Dining Room are open to each other as well making it easier for a future kitchen renovation. there is only one bath room and then there is a "bedroom" that is perfect for a walk in pantry with a lift top freezer. Upstairs there are 4 bedrooms.
The ceilings are high on the first floor making such a difference, just that alone makes a space feel bigger and more open.
We are crossing our fingers and holding our breath hoping that the next step goes smoothly and hope you will do the same for us!!
**On another note: Graham has a cooking interview (part 2) on Wednesday for an AM Sous Chef job at the new hotel in Newberg that is opening in September & I have applied for a 6 month temporary Product Developer position back in my old department at Columbia. If all goes well, I would start work (assuming their date is correct and I got the job) July 15th and if G gets the Allison Inn job, he would start on July 20th.

1 comment:

Jessica and Joe said...

I am so happy for you!! I hipe everything goes well so that you can have a housewarming party soon!