Yesterday evening we lost power for a couple of hours. As dusk was approaching, it started getting too dark in the house so I lit some candles. I have two on our console table that I thought were out of Oliver's reach. I guess not.
As I was putting the matches away, out of his reach he was watching the candle saying "Oh. Wow. What is that?" He knows candles and like to blow them out. Apparently his curiousity got hte better of him. While I was putting the matches up I kept telling him over and over, "Don't touch", mind you I was a couple feet away, watching him the whole time, we;; except for 1 split second. When I looked back up I saw him sticking his finger in the flame. I started tellign him "No, No, No!" He looked at his finger and me, then threw himself down on the ottoman. He wouldn't let me look at his finger. Finally, through all the thrashing, I got a look. It was red with a little soot spot. We ran it under some cold water, and then he threw a tantrum since I wasn't lettting him play with the water anymore (he hadn't had a nap) I stuck him in his crib to have some chill time and within 10 mins he was asleep. About an hour later the power came back on and he woke up a couple minutes later.
Graham got home just after that and decided to heat up some Spaghetti for Oliver for dinner. I was holding to let him watch and he started pointing at the stove (it's gas) saying "Hot. Owie'". I checked out his finger and there was indeed a little blister on the top of his finger.
Then again this morning, as soon as I brought him into the Living Room, he pointed at the candles and said 'Hot. Hot. Owie." while holding out his finger.
He is such a smart boy. Too bad he didn't listen to me when I toldhim not to touch! I hate that he got an Owie, but proud that to see him make the connection and remember what happened. I also learned that he is much taller now and can reach even MORE items!
No comments:
Post a Comment