Friday, April 3, 2009

Busy Days (Part 1)

(Originally this was going to be one post but I decided to make it into two...)
 
The past two days have been pretty busy around here.

Yesterday morning, Oliver had his 18 month check up. I had to take him alone and was concerned about it, rightfully so!
Graham had to get to work early as they had a buy out and a lot to get done so he couldn't take the time out of his day to go almost to Gresham, plus errands and then to work.
It had been 6 months since Oliver went to the Dr. last and a lot has changed since then. At 1, they don't really know what is going on and sort of let you get on with it. Not so much this time! The nurse right away tried to measure his head, that was a no go. Next I had to undress him and we tried to get him to sit on the baby scale. The weight came out at 24 pounds but we don't know how accurate that is. I am betting pretty close. Next was trying to measure him. I think standing may have worked better but we had to try to stretch him out on the table like a baby and mark his length. the nurse got 34" but I guess they decided to take 1/2" off so the record shows 33 1/2". I think he is taller but we will go with it...
Next Dr. Chen came in to do her exam and chat about his progress. He was fine as long as i held him, until she tried to touch him. He didn't even want his heart listened to and screamed and cried through the whole thing. Next I had to hold his arms and head down while she checked his ears and mouth. Did I mention that he is REALLY strong? The nurse had even mentioned coming back with Graham to the nurse's station for his shots...
Oliver got a clean bill of health, everything is normal and healthy and apparently we are doing all of the right things. He has been off the bottle since 1 and a few weeks ago graduated to cups with straws. He is right on his growth curves as well. 25th percentile for weight, 75th for height, and i guess about 60th for head circumference.
While at the appointment, Dr. Chen asked me about how many words he had, 5, 10 or more. I quickly counted and I told her at least 10 plus animal sounds and some words he prefers to sign. It got me thinking and I decided to make a list, which I have been meaning to do. This is what I came up with:
Says:
yuck, ewww, yeah, no, oh no, uh oh, stuck, car, cat, cow, dog, woof woof, moo, meow, ow, owie, toot toot, choo choo, roar, cheese, achoo, ee ee oo oo aa aa (monkey), quack, duck, thank you, touchdown, mmmm
Signs: (most often)
Bath, More, Eat, Milk, Baby, touchdown
After his appointment, we met Gramma & Poppa Rick at Salon Luxe where Mom was getting a new do from the fabulous Miss Karen. We make a quick visit to the restaurant to say hi to Daddy and Aaron and then went over to Cha Taqueria for some tasty lunch. 
Oliver seems to really like Mexican and one meal he will always eat is beans and rice with chips. He also seems to really like salsa and we found out, radishes!
I got some great pictures of him browsing the menu...
 And here's a picture of Gramma's new do!
After lunch we made a trip to Trader Joe's and then back to the car and to drop them off at thiers. It was a fairly short visit but we all had a great time, even if I can barely walk...

1 comment:

Jamee said...

be prepared.. At Ryder's 2 year appointment it took 2 nurses and myself to hold him down to get shots. He screams and cries every time he has to go to the doctor. It's horrible!! But if we go for Averee he is a perfect angle!